Friday, January 29, 2010

a walkin'




Walking today in the park, this large expansive field inspired me to practice what Momo called 'butoh 101.' The wide open space seemed perfect to practice walking with no destination, trusting the feet to go in any unspecified direction not created by the mind - letting go into the experience of the sense of touch and textures of the grass on the feet while looking with a soft, open gaze. My challenge was to let go of the 'idea' of where I thought I should go and just let my feet explore and feel.
While practicing butoh, I often close my eyes so as to be able to turn my awareness inward more easily and let external movement come from the inner experience. However, during one of my first mentorship sessions with Momo, she had me practice 'seeing' where the gaze is straight ahead while at the same time taking in all you can from the periphery. My challenge in my regular practice is to try and keep the eyes open while tuning into the internal experience. Part of my practice today also included walking a straight line connecting to the soles of my feet while maintaining the soft gaze, keeping the windows of the soul open.

"Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it." Mary Oliver
Music: Paul Horn
View my butoh mentor's beautiful blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

No comments:

Post a Comment