Saturday, January 23, 2010

soup / time




"The only constant is change." Heraclitus

Some days I am overwhelmed with so much gratitude for life just as it is that I want the experience of each moment to last indefinitely...

I have often watched the magnificence of the sun setting over the horizon and thought - "Wouldn't it be amazing if the colors in the sky could remain, even for just a few minutes more?" And yet know the inevitable, that the only constant in our lives is change and it doesn't matter how desperately we may want otherwise, the sun sets without hesitation and darkness spreads itself over the landscape.

Today was one of those days that I wanted to last and last... From my meditation practice over the years I have come to experience how time can slow down when we are present moment to moment with our experience. Not thinking about future or past events enables there to be a step into timelessness...

My intention and challenge is to become more present with the mundane, so to speak, activities of life and from connecting with them more deeply through dance, to be astonished by them. My daily dance practice was one of presence with the soup (spicy black bean :~), the steam, the pot, and the spoon. What drew me to the practice initially was observing the dance of the steam, then the dance of the soup bubbling, which moved me to become partners in this dance of the soup!
music: Philip Glass
Visit my butoh mentor's beautiful blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

No comments:

Post a Comment