Wednesday, January 20, 2010

tree-holding





Something That Happens Right Now

A great surge came rushing from everywhere and wrapped all the land and sky... The maple tree would stand right there. With my hand on that smooth bark we would watch it all. Then my feet would come loose from Earth and rise by the power of longing... I would be everywhere... a thin tone like the wind, a slip of blue light - no source, no end, no horizon.

William Stafford

After a several month IRS audit process finally over today, and feeling an imminent cold taking hold of my being, todays dance practice was guided by a desire to be held by mama earth. There was such a sense of relief coupled with exhaustion that the audit was over - it felt like my body had no more defenses to keep fighting off the cold symptoms that were taking hold over the last few days.

While walking in the park this beautiful tree being was a perfect opportunity to find stillness in the dance of life. While in the crotch of the tree I was moved not only to receive the tree's energy, but also return energy towards it. I was reminded of Mary Oliver's quote: " There was nothing I could do except to remember that we receive then we give back."

An unexpected breeze rustled the branches and inspired movement to dance with it's branches - from a place of stillness. This was a practice we did in momo's butoh workshops in the past - to remain still until movement comes from an inner source.

"Do you have the patience to wait until your own mud settles and the water is clear? Can you remain unmoving until the right action arises by itself?"

Lao-Tzu
Music : Aiko Shimada and Elizabeth Falconer
Visit my butoh mentor's beautiful blog here: Maureen 'momo' Freehill

No comments:

Post a Comment