Saturday, January 30, 2010

shiatsu afoot




Today's dance practice was inspired by this shiatsu path at Bastyr Naturopathic College. Such a beautiful piece of art work, the path is embedded with various size stones and sacred symbols. My butoh mentor often speaks of the importance of tuning into the body by becoming aware of the senses of the body and creating a dance from that awareness - view her blog on textures here.

While taking a leadership workshop today there was so much potent information being given by my medicine woman mentor, I felt disconnected to my body and very much in my head - full to capacity with information. A perfect opportunity to get out of my head and reconnect with body was found on the property, in the rain, in the herb garden on this shiatsu path...

At first the pressure of the stones on the soles of the feed felt wonderful, but the farther I walked the trail the more painful the experience - awakening me more deeply to sensation and the sense of touch. Finally, unable to walk on the stones any longer my whole body wanted to experience the texture of the stones beneath it, which also took the discomfort away from the feet :~)

Feeling grateful for the opportunity to connect to mama earth via the various textures on this great path and the healing energy of water via rain - a reconnection to the body and a washing of the spirit.

16 million tons of rain are falling every second
on the planet
an ocean
perpetually falling
and every drop is your body
every motion, every feather, every thought
is your body...
let our lives be incense
burning
like a sacred hymn to the universe
my religion is rain
my religion is stone...
every leaf, every river,
every animal,
your body...

Drew Dellinger from "Love Letter to the Milky Way"
Visit my butoh mentor's beautiful blog here: Maureen Momo Freehill

No comments:

Post a Comment