Monday, January 18, 2010

sweet calm



when what hugs stopping earth than silent is
more silent than more than much more is or
total sun oceaning than any this
tear jumping from each most least eye of star

and without was if minus and shall be
immeasurable happenless unnow
shuts more than open could that every tree
or than all life more death begins to grow...

e.e.cummings

Last night the wind was buffeting the house with so much force, the sky lights were rattling. In the morning as I drove to teach my yoga classes, the streets were strewn with cardboard and paper that must have enjoyed a 'wind dance' of sorts - freeing themselves from recycling bins from the strength of the wind gusts.

I love the challenge of dancing with the wind as a partner - trying to move freely, to be taken by the winds shifting rhythms and intensities, and needing to be present enough to 'listen' to the wind as instrument of movement moment to moment.

After class, I was relieved that the wind had died down as lately I have felt buffeted enough by my own life. I was desiring stillness, to be grounded - to counterbalance my all too busy life at this time. I was desiring a dance practice outdoors as the skies had cleared and there was warmth in the sun.

Walking the trail to the ocean there was such a sweet calm with the warm sun touching my face - all I could think of doing was taking off my socks and shoes and connecting to mama earth... A hummingbird was sitting in stillness on a branch - it too, seemed to be enjoying this stillpoint after the storm. As I approached the ocean's shore, I was disappointed that the air was not as quiet as I was longing for.

My challenge was to dance with the external weather while honoring my inner need of stillness. Once again I was reminded of the beauty of daily dance practice - that it really is about being open to each unfolding moment and expressing from a place of not thinking (as my mentor momo reminds) - responding to what is and not being attached to outcome... loving the challenge...

Grateful for my butoh mentor momo for her teachings...
music: deuter

No comments:

Post a Comment