Sunday, May 16, 2010

hummingbird



Today's dance practice was inspired by the dancing hummingbird wind-chime on our back deck.

Whenever I see hummingbirds I think of the special people in my life who have hummingbird as their animal ally - I appreciate the opportunities to reflect on the special presence those people have in my life whenever hummingbird appears...

I love how hummingbirds symbolize joy and the ability to sip the sweet nectar of life. I also love how they can be very aggressive and emit a lot of strength when needed - that long sharp beak like a menacing sword! I was fascinated to observe a hummingbird harass a crow in flight last year, and at another time, harass an owl who was perched in a cedar tree... the hummingbird appeared to have no fear as it darted about them, as if in jest...

Not to leave out how amazing some hummingbirds are as they migrate thousand of miles each year on their tiny wings that move so incredibly quickly (50 times per second).

I often think of Mary Oliver's poem, also, as I love the description of hummingbirds as having wings like wheels, as it seems to me exactly what they look like when they are in flight.

My dance was a very unsuccessful attempt at creating wheel wings out of my finger / hand / 'wings.' :~)

Thank you for viewing / reading this blog - it means a lot,
Lee
The Hummingbird

It’s morning, and again I am that lucky person who is in it.
And again it is spring,
and there are the apple trees,
and the hummingbird in its branches.
On the green wheel of his wings
he hurries from blossom to blossom,
which is his work, that he might live.

He is a gatherer of the fine honey of promise,
and truly I go in envy
of the ruby fire at his throat,
and his accurate, quick tongue,
and his single-mindedness.

Meanwhile the knives of ambition are stirring
down there in the darkness behind my eyes,
and I should go inside now to my desk and my pages.
But still I stand under the trees, happy and desolate,
wanting for myself such a satisfying coat
and brilliant work.

Mary Oliver

If you double-click the below photo you can view the film without getting the right-hand side cut off :~)
Music: Wind Chimes
View my butoh mentor's inspiring blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

No comments:

Post a Comment