Tuesday, May 11, 2010

nature and the soul



"If we lose the forest, we lose our souls." Thomas Berry

It was an honor to dance with MomoButoh Company last Friday night at "For the Trees and Memories" benefit to raise money for the Whidbey Camano land trust which is trying to purchase over 600 acres of land to be preserved as wild for all future generations.

This event was created by Momo's generous heart and vision. On arriving at the venue, The Woodland Hall, I was blown away by Deborah Koff-Chapin's soul paintings that had been arranged the night before - like stained glass, they were placed within the window frames of the hall and also on the large slabs of reclaimed old-growth tree slabs throughout the hall. It was like walking into a magical world.... and it was in this magical world that we would be dancing in.

I believe that there is no separation between our human souls and that of nature, and Deborah's art (touch drawing) reflects that interconnectedness so beautifully... I also believe that everything in nature is potentially a mirror in which we can see ourselves, if we slow down enough in our busy lives to spend time within the mysteries of the wild world around us.




On our walk, this dance practice was inspired by the dancing branches of the cedar and my desire to feel myself move as though with cedar limbs... to feel the tree within me and ultimately become one with the tree... Although a few days after the benefit gala, I was still holding the images of Deborah's paintings within me...

Thank you for viewing / reading my blog, it means a lot to me,
Lee

"We now in large measure determine the earth process that once determined us." Thomas Berry

Music: Brian Eno
View my butoh mentor's inspiring blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

No comments:

Post a Comment