Sunday, February 28, 2010

pop pop and mount baker



On our walk to the beach today I was struck by the beauty to the north - Mt. Baker was glowing in the golden light of the late afternoon sun. Nature's beauty is often what energizes and inspires my dance practice. Unfortunately, the mountain doesn't show up too well in the film, but a still photo above captures to some extend the evening alpen-glow.

One of my many challenges with dancing daily is to continue to dance freely and to avoid becoming habitual in movement and receptivity of that which surrounds me. I long to, moment by moment, respond anew to that which is present - internally or externally. Dancing with the natural world as a partner can be helpful for that practice because it is always new and ever-changing.

From this location today it was possible to see beyond Mt. Baker to the Golden Ears mountains in Canada, and I could feel my heartstrings being pulled. Feeling nostalgia for my homeland on the closing day of the Olympics, I loved seeing my hometown being shown off and showcased in such an inspiring way. This dance is one of responding to my inner pulls while at the same time to the external sensual experiences of nature around me.
Another of my challenges and joys is that I dance without music accompaniment, and choose the music once I am home editing. It can be a challenge to find music that speaks of the essence of the dance that was done earlier in the day. Today's song is from "Pop Pop" - a jazz album I listened to regularly when I was wanting to be transported into a mellow world. There is also something I love about the lyrics of the song from Peter Pan -

I won't grow up
I don't wanna go to school
Just to learn to be a puppet
And recite a silly rule

If growing up means it would be
Beneath my dignity to climb a tree
I won't grow up, won't grow up, won't grow up
Not me...

I hope to always maintain my childlike playfulness and joie de vivre... In my butoh mentorship with Momo, she has had me dance and move with childlike abandon to return to a feeling of freedom and unselfconsciousness. It is a practice I love but that also challenges.

Not sure if this song fits the dance all that well in its essence... but, what the heck? It makes me smile and I hope it makes you smile, too!

Thank you for viewing / reading this blog. I hope it may inspire you in some way, perhaps to dance freely somewhere in nature where you live...


There is a film in the black space below:
Music: Rickie Lee Jones
Filmed by Brooke
Visit my butoh mentor's inspiring blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

1 comment:

  1. how perfect for me to read this today. I keep having the longing to be 4 or 5 again...when all the world was perfect and i hadn't a care in the world. i do think the trick as we get older is to maintain a certain innocence and playfulness, and then the 'rest of it all' can't get to us so much. i think that is partially why i adore teaching preschool aged kids- they refresh my innocence with every interaction. and, on a dancing theme, they are ALWAYS dancing. dancing while talking, dancing while listening, dancing while playing, just dancing for the joy of dancing. a good lesson for all of us:)

    thank YOU for dancing. you do inspire me in many ways.

    ReplyDelete