Wednesday, February 3, 2010

blossoms a-feet

"And the day came when the risk it took to stay in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
After practicing yoga for so many years I appreciate the feeling of grounded-ness in my yoga practice where whatever part of the body that is connected to the ground feels earthy, solid and deeply rooted. However, this stability in the foundation is not always useful in butoh. Often in dance practice my feet and legs feel like they are filled with concrete - sooo heavy and immobile!

I love how my butoh mentor Momo's being often transforms into that of a baby, a child, an elder, another species (animal, bird, reptile, plant...) while she is dancing - a plasticity in the body allowing it to transform, or shape-shift into another experience of being. I am learning also that this ability comes from an inner state of emptying, of removing ego, thereby allowing a blossoming from the inside.

Heavy rain falling brought my dance practice into the studio. Today, my challenge is to get the sandbags out of my feet, to awaken them, and to return to a baby-like state of receptivity, where toes, feet, small movement and anything and everything is interesting.
Thank you for reading. I hope that this blog may in some way inspire you.

Visit my mentor's beautiful blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill
Music: Aiko Shimado and Elizabeth Falconer

No comments:

Post a Comment