Saturday, February 6, 2010

earth tumbling

I say to myself,
how can you help
but grow wise
with such teachings
as these -
the untrimmable light
of the world,
the ocean's shine,
the prayers that are made
out of grass?
Mary Oliver

Practicing dance outdoors facilitates spontaneity, as I never know where the inspiration to dance will occur and the place is often what inspires the dance. So often the words come "Here - this spot - now." I have no idea as to why some places seem to speak to me - but I am always grateful for the deepening connection to presence wherever it is.

Walking in the park today I came across the expansive field of dead winter grasses. Initially, I was wanting to connect to the dramatic sky and expansiveness overhead, however, I was literally tripped by the fallen grasses a few times which sent me tumbling to the earth.
It felt like a dance between spirit and soul - my lofty ambitious self wanting to connect with the sky, with spirit and that which is light-filled, and then the earth's reminder to be humble, to stay grounded, and stay connected to the soul. Being able to roll on the grasses awakened the sensuality of the body (especially smell and touch) which always feels like food for the soul.

I am reminded of Bill Plotkin's definition: "By soul I mean the vital, mysterious, and wild core of our individual selves, an essence unique to each person... By spirit I mean the single, great and eternal mystery that permeates and animates everything in the universe and yet transcends all... Soul embraces and calls us toward what is most unique in us. Spirit encompasses and draws us towards what is most universal and shared. "

Grateful for the grass, the stumbles and the reminder as to the importance of soul filled earthward-ness on the quest to connect more deeply to spirit.

And I wonder, do you think there is a difference between spirit and soul?

Thank you for reading / viewing. I hope that this blog has in some was been inspiring - perhaps to drop to the earth and tumble in the grasses.


Through the empty branches the sky remains...
Be earth now, and evensong.
Be the ground lying under that sky.
Be modest now, like a thing
ripened until it is real,
so that he who began it all
can feel you when he reaches for you.
Rainer Maria Rilke

Music: Apocalyptica
Filmed by Brooke
Visit my butoh mentor's beautiful blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

1 comment:

  1. O how i love that TUMBLE rhymes with HUMBLE!
    thank you for your dancing and writing and sharing wisdom.
    As for difference between spirit and soul...yes and no is the answer i find.
    The distinction that Bill P and you make is certainly in my realm of experience....just not quite sure how to label those experiences...thanks for stimulating this inquiry!

    ReplyDelete