Friday, February 26, 2010

a drop in the eye



I returned from my acupuncture appointment this afternoon feeling energetically drained. I have been receiving treatments for allergy symptoms that usually flare up in January. It was interesting for me to discover I am allergic to trees! I have always been passionately in love with trees and they are everywhere in my world... one of the reasons living in an urban environment is palatable is the fact we live next to 650 acres of wild - trees, fields, beaches, ponds, and wildlife. Many of my dance practices are with trees, but today it was recommended by the therapist to avoid hugging any trees!
Last night
the rain
spoke to me
slowly, saying,
what joy
to come falling
out of the brisk cloud,
to be happy again
in a new way
on the earth!
That’s what it said
as it dropped,
smelling of iron,
and vanished
like a dream of the ocean
into the branches
and the grass below.
Mary Oliver

As it was pouring with rain, and both the light and my energy were waning, I decided to do my dance practice outside of a screened window in the house so the camera wouldn't get wet. I love how the unexpected appears in my practices - I began this dance as a celebration of rain and water, and as I looked up into the falling rain, a drop 'hit' me in the eyeball - ouch! Feeling a little spurned, I wanted to connect with 'something' besides the rain, so when I saw our watering can I spontaneously began to interact with it.
There was something joyful and ironic to me in this spontaneous dance - drawn to dance with the watering can while dancing in the midst of a torrential rainfall... with the resulting feeling of uplifted-ment.

Thank you for viewing / reading. I hope this blog may inspire you in some way.
There is a film in the black space below:
Music: Philip Glass
Visit my butoh mentor's inspiring blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

1 comment:

  1. Does not look like LoW ENerGEE to me! I see your Charlie Chaplainesque heart and soul playfully shining through the rain! :-) nice.

    ReplyDelete