Tuesday, February 2, 2010

a window


"Window. Window...
The window is a fragment
of the world suspended
in the world, the known
adrift in mystery."
Wendell Berry
It is a mystery to me how these driftwood sculptures are created. Although I walk to the beach several times a week, I have yet to see who creates these works of art. It is almost as if they rise from the sand overnight like mushrooms pushing up through woodland soil. They also remind me so beautifully of the impermanence of all things in that the structures will often be dismantled within a day by the rising tide.

When the day is sun-filled my outdoor dance practices tend to be an expression of the expansiveness of the sky and the surrounding vistas - feeling energized by the life force of sun, earth and sky. However, today I was feeling exhausted in body and mind and the wooden womb with a view seemed like the perfect place to hideaway and nestle into the sand and grasses, listening to the lull of the waves...

I often think of windows as allowing us to see outward from the inside, but I also like the idea of windows as portals that allow us to see more deeply into our inner worlds. This wooden sculpture window was an invitation for todays dance practice of turning inward, of listening to and dancing the inner body weather...

Today was a challenging practice for me of receiving my body's wisdom - at this time, to rest...
"It is time now for the deepening and quieting of the spirit among the flux of happenings..." Mary Oliver

Visit my butoh mentor's beautiful blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill
Music: Jennifer Berezan
Filmed by Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment