Sunday, March 28, 2010

pukalani above


Today's weather was 'spring-ly' and unsettled, with torrential rain one minute and sunshine the next. You have to hurry to get out into the day when there is a break in the clouds, as we did this late afternoon, to walk when it isn't raining. What struck me as we walked by this large grassy field was a perfectly shaped circle about 100 feet in diameter that was 'drawn' by the fact that the grass making up the perimeter was longer and greener than all the other grass on the field. Who knows what created this mysterious circle - any ideas??

As I began my dance practice I was drawn to trace the circle, which took me on an inward journey into my own center. As I looked into the sky there was a pukalani (Hawaiian for hole in the Heavens where there is a circle of blue sky with clouds all around) directly overhead which drew me for a time outward into a feeling of expansiveness into the infinite sky with a returning feeling of inner space...

Grateful for the 'God of Space,' inward and outward, on the journey...


Sky

I like you with nothing. Are you
what I was? What I will be?...

Be my father, be my mother,
great sleep of blue, reach
far within me; open doors,
find whatever is hiding, invite it
for many clear days in the sun...

When I turn away I know
you are there... I know it
within my bowed head, where
the other sky listens...

William Stafford


Thank you for viewing / reading.
There is a film in the black space below (the sound at the end is the wind):
Music: Philip Glass
Filmed by Brooke
Visit my butoh mentor's inspiring blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

2 comments:

  1. maybe it is a fairy ring....made by mushrooms..or faeries....and yes..a place for centering and entering. those gateways and portals...ah, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps....i know it is not about the costume here...but i like your new cap! cute ;-)

    ReplyDelete