Thursday, March 25, 2010

inside the studio inside...



Today was raining and blustery and I felt inspired to do my dance practice inside the studio for a different perspective and to be able to bring my awareness inward more easily. My butoh mentor, Momo, has taught how becoming aware of textures can help bring you into presence and into the body, and I loved the texture of the floor to play on as it is so unlike what is found in the natural world....

A dance of play today :~)

I was listening to Mary Oliver's poems from her CD "At Blackwater Pond" and this practice surfaced from the listening...


Where Does the Temple Begin, Where Does It End?

There are things you can’t reach. But
you can reach out to them, and all day long.
The wind, the bird flying away. The idea of God.
And it can keep you as busy as anything else, and happier.
The snake slides away; the fish jumps, like a little lily,
out of the water and back in; the goldfinches sing
from the unreachable top of the tree.
I look; morning to night I am never done with looking.
Looking I mean not just standing around, but standing around
as though with your arms open.
And thinking: maybe something will come, some
shining coil of wind,
or a few leaves from any old tree –
they are all in this too.
And now I will tell you the truth.
Everything in the world
comes.
At least, closer.
And, cordially.
Like the nibbling, tinsel-eyed fish; the unlooping snake.
Like goldfinches, little dolls of gold
fluttering around the corner of the sky
of God, the blue air.

~ Mary Oliver ~ (Why I Wake Early)

Thank you for viewing...
There is a film in the space below:
Visist my butoh mentor's inspiring blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

No comments:

Post a Comment