Sunday, March 7, 2010

hurt contained and released

... to those who have suffered
much will be revealed
follow your tears
the future needs us
now.

Drew Dellinger

Last night we watched "The Hurt Locker" as the Academy Awards is tonight and the only movie I had seen that is nominated was "Avatar" (which I found disappointing in it's theme of fighting for peace). There were so many inspiring films last year - I am sorry I haven't seen more of them!

"The Hurt Locker" was intensely moving and so well done in the way that it made me feel like I was right there with the bomb diffusers, a part of their unit. I was riveted, except where the scenes were too intense for me and I had to take mini breaks and leave the room from time to time...

What I took away from it was so much sadness for the soldiers in Iraq and the people that live there. It is easy not to feel the pain of others when we don't know that it even exists. "The Hurt Locker" was a brilliant film that enabled me to see and feel the pain of the war in such a personal way.
Today's dance was a response to the film... Under a blossoming tree thousands of petals were scattered and picking them up and letting them fall felt like releasing a waterfall of tears - my tears and yet... it felt like so much more, too.

In the movie, I thought the way the feeling of being 'locked in' was very intense and well done - whether it was within a room, a hummer, an alley, a company of soldiers, a country, a relationship, a family, a bomb case, the clothes on the back, or of the clothes of the dead soldier in the locker itself... At a certain point in the practice today I felt I needed to unburden myself of my layers, not only for myself but for others that are also feeling locked in.

Today's dance practice was one of releasing and letting emotions flow, unlocked.


In my yoga classes I teach the Sanskrit mantra:

Lokaha Samastaha Sukhino Bhavantu

May all beings everywhere be happy and free from suffering and may our thoughts and actions contribute to that happiness and freedom from suffering for all beings.

Thank you for viewing and commenting :~) How were you moved by "The Hurt Locker"?

There is a film in the black space below:
Music: Philip Glass
Filmed by Brooke
Visit my butoh mentor's inspiring blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

No comments:

Post a Comment