Thursday, April 29, 2010

moss green


"Isn’t it plain the sheets of moss, except that / they have no tongues, could lecture / all day if they wanted about / spiritual patience?"

Mary Oliver

Today's dance practice was with my sister in Lynn Canyon Park that is nestled into the mountains bordering a river. There is so much lushness in this park where the tree branches are literally dripping with moss and the forest floor has no visible rocks on it as it is a spongy carpet of green.

A section of the trail we were on is an interpretive trail and a small sign explains how the forest floor in this area is peat moss, which I was surprised to read. I loved finding out how peat forms when plant material, usually in marshy areas, is inhibited from decaying fully by acidic and anaerobic conditions. It is composed mainly of marshland vegetation: trees, grasses, fungi, as well as other types of organic remains, such as insects, and animal remains.

Apparently, peat has been discovered to be very beneficial in cleaning up post oil spill catastrophes... I am wondering if peat may be used in the recent environmental disaster created by the oil-spill in the Gulf of Mexico...

Green being my favorite color, it was a joy to dance with the moss covered limbs above and on the spongy peat below. It was fun to see the film later where it looked, to me, like the dead limbs of the trees were monkey tails in the way they moved? :~)

Today's dance felt like a celebration of the green world and also of the time spent shared with my sister - I loved sharing this practice with her today! Gratitude to the Great Mystery...

Thank you for viewing / reading. I hope my blog may inspire in some way, perhaps to dance in the natural world near you :~)

Lee

Music by: Lisa Gerrard
Filmed by Bev
Visit my butoh mentor's blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

No comments:

Post a Comment