Wednesday, April 21, 2010

robin's song dance



One of my favorite daily dances from last year was at this time of year when I danced with the distinct song of the robin in the evening. It was such a memorable experience where it's 'tune' resonates within me still.

On arriving back from Mexico to the Pacific Northwest I was so enthralled by how much new green life had sprouted up and out over the last 11 days and how sweet and fresh the air smelled. I was sooo happy to hear the robins singing tonight and enjoyed immensely this silly improvisational dance of celebrating spring! I had to laugh at how as soon as the dance began, the robin stopped singing! Instead, I could hear a robin in the distance and danced to it, and you can hear it very quietly if you listen carefully :~)


There is a lilac tree that blooms for a few days and was also happy to be able to celebrate it's beauty in the dance....


One of my favorite Mary Oliver poems is "Red Bird Explains Himself" and I think you could replace 'red bird' with the name of any bird... this is an excerpt:

...stay with me: listen.
If I was the song that entered your heart
then I was the music of your heart, that you wanted and needed,
and thus wilderness bloomed that, with all its
followers: gardeners, lovers, people who weep
for the death of rivers.
And this was my true task, to be the
music of the body. Do you understand? for truly the body needs
a song, a spirit, a soul. And no less, to make this work,
the soul has need of a body,
and I am both of the earth and I am of the inexplicable
beauty of heaven
where I fly so easily, so welcome, yes,
and this is why I have been sent, to teach this to your heart.”

~ Mary Oliver ~ (Red Bird)

Thank you for viewing / reading. I hope that this blog may inspire you in some way,

Lee

There is a film in the black space below:
Music: Robin
Filmed by Brooke
See my butoh mentor's beautiful blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

No comments:

Post a Comment