Tuesday, June 15, 2010

insect's view



Daisies

It is possible, I suppose that sometime
we will learn everything
there is to learn: what the world is, for example,
and what it means. I think this as I am crossing
from one field to another, in summer, and the
mockingbird is mocking me, as one who either
knows enough already or knows enough to be
perfectly content not knowing. Song being born
of quest he knows this: he must turn silent
were he suddenly assaulted with answers. Instead
oh hear his wild, caustic, tender warbling ceaselessly
unanswered. At my feet the white-petalled daisies display
the small suns of their center piece, their - if you don't
mind my saying so - their hearts. Of course
I could be wrong, perhaps their hearts are pale and
narrow and hidden in the roots. What do I know?
But this: it is heaven itself to take what is given,
to see what is plain; what the sun lights up willingly;
for example - I think this
as I reach down, not to pick but merely to touch -
the suitability of the field for the daisies, and the
daisies for the field.

Mary Oliver

Today's dance practice was inspired by my butoh mentorship with Momo. She was speaking of the idea as taught by one of butoh's founders, Hijikata Tatsumi, of brining into one's dance the perspective of another being - animate or inanimate, and by doing so, would lead to an appreciation of 'everything.'

While sprawled in the grass ruminating on Hijikata's quote, I was very aware of all the insects that shared this small patch of tall grasses with us - the ants, wood bugs, spit bugs, and a fluorescent yellow backed spider that was casting it's thread of a web into the wind where it would catch on the tops of distant grasses...


I was also reminded of Mary Oliver's poem where she explores the idea that daisies (all plants and grasses, too) have hearts... but where are those hearts? In the blossom, in the uplifted heads of the grasses, or deep within the roots themselves, within the dark soil, and well hidden?

My dance began with a 'head plant' into the grasses in search of the hearts of the grasses which led to an exploration of dancing / seeing from an insect's perspective, in particular the yellow spider throwing it's web into the wind and the sky (like the jet trails above)...

Grateful for all the living beings on our planet ocean...

Thank you for viewing my blog. I hope it may inspire you in some way - perhaps to connect to the natural world from a different perspective in the wilds (or 'urbans') where you live...
Music: Claude Debussy
Filmed by Momo
Visit my butoh mentor's inspiring blog here: Maureen 'Momo' Freehill

No comments:

Post a Comment