Saturday, July 9, 2011

for dad...

Mom and Dad, Manitoba, 1940's
A couple of days after my father passed, my brother, sister and I went for a walk to Rice Lake to spend time in contemplation - with my Dad's old harmonica, camping hat, and a camera in hand.

We had a collective memory of times with our family sitting around campfires listening and singing to my Dad's harmonica playing, and we thought Rice Lake would be a perfect place to let the sound of the harmonica resonate out into the cosmos across the still lake, in honor of our Dad.

I told my brother how my medicine ways teacher shared that native peoples created songs from the landscape in which they lived and we all loved seeing the waves of song / sound waves in the silhouette across the lake. And so the spontaneous dance began to my brother's harmonica improv, with my sister filming.
In my mind I had anticipated some somber funeral dirge that my brother would likely play. I was so surprised as I stood on the trail, wearing my father's camping hat, that the improv my brother created from the landscape was a joyful-kind-of-jig song ;~)

And so the spontaneous dance below resulted...



And yet, the lilt of the song seemed perfect in retrospect - a way of letting our Dad know we are alright and we will all be fine - all will be well...

For a Father

The longer we live,
The more of your presence
We find, laid down
Weave upon weave
Within our lives.

John O'Donohue

Thank you for viewing my blog - it means a lot to me. I love receiving comments and would love to hear from you if you feel inspired.

Lee
Visit our collaborative blog here: Momobutoh Dance Company

Another of my brother's harmonica improvs for my dad...

No comments:

Post a Comment